ACADEMIC PLANNING UNIT.
The Academic Planning Unit of Yaba College of Technology, Yaba is an academic organ of the College under the office of the Rector. It was established in October 2011 during the leadership of former Rector, Dr. (Mrs.) M. K. Ladipo. The Unit is controlled by a Director and assisted by other staff.
VISION OF THE UNIT
To be outstanding Academic Planning Unit among tertiary institutions that will make impact in teaching, learning and research.
MISSION STATEMENT OF THE UNIT.
To ensure that the content of Academic Programmes, facilities, human and other resources are of adequate and universally acceptable standard for conducive teaching, learning and research for the sustenance of technological education in Nigeria.
The philosophy of the unit is to improve and transform academic learning environment to high and acceptable standard in all the programmes in the college.
FUNCTIONS OF ACADEMIC PLANNING UNIT
The functions of the Unit are as follows:
1. Projections of students’ enrollment and corresponding staff strength figures.
2. Determination of adequate staff strength and requirement to guide against any possible excess staffing and its attendant results.
3. Computation of Full Time Equivalent (FTE) for all programmes and its analysis for planning purposes.
4. Assisting in the revision of College curricula to ensure compliance with procedures and guidelines for existing and new academic programmes.
5. Assist in identifying major teaching and research needs of departments.
6. Facilitating and coordinating activities for accreditation and re-accreditation of all academic programmes and ensuring adherence to regulatory bodies academic standard.
7. Liaising with Schools/Institute/Academic departments in the College for the initiation, establishment and management of academic courses/programme;
8. Coordinating professional bodies’ accreditation.
9. Appraisal and processing of requests for affiliation from other tertiary institutions in consultation with the legal department of the College.
10. Assist with initiating and processing strong academic linkages and technical co-operations within the College; and with other tertiary institutions, government and their agencies, international organizations and other bodies.
11. Assist with searching/soliciting and processing College’s nomination for Fellowships, Scholarships, Technical Assistance, External aids etc. for staff to enhance teaching, research and development.
12. Liaising with the College’s Centre for Information Technology and Management (CITM) for the purpose of maintaining an up-to-date Database.
13. Interpretation of data on College students’ annual enrollment and graduation statistics.
14. Periodic up-dating and collection of relevant data on changing trends of College activities, such as:
a. Students’ enrollments per programme, per gender and other extant biases;
b. Analysis of data for the internal evaluation of the performance status of academic programmes in the College based on the specified parameters and guidelines from the regulatory agencies.
c. Baseline data retrieval on student and staff statistics for use in planning, budgeting and other management requirements.
d. Coordination and monitoring of the efficient operation of the Course credit System in the College and any future revision wherefrom.
e. Coordinating the curricula development and curricula review for programmes in the College.
f. Managing College examinations through effective preparation, procurement and distribution of examination materials.
g. Preparation of Omnibus Examination and Lecture Time-Table.
h. Assist in feasibility studies for the establishment of new academic programme(s).
i. To be involved in the production, monitoring and periodic review of College strategic plan with respect to academic matters.
j. Assist in promoting, administering and monitoring research projects and programmes in the College.
k. Process research proposals from academic staff to the College Research Committee (CRC) for research grant awards.
l. Collation of progress and annual report on research projects funded by any regulatory agencies and make returns periodically to such a body.
m. Any other duty as assigned by the Rector.
The Pioneer Director was Mr. I. A. Akhuemonkhan. He served for two (2) years and was succeeded by another Director Mr. U. I Inyang-Udoh who until his appointment was Dean, School of Environmental Studies. Dr. (Engr.) W.O. Adedeji who until this appointment as Director was the Dean, School of Engineering and Chairman, Committee of Deans was succeeded by Mr. Michael Omoighe who is the present Director.
The Unit has three (3) Academic staff deployed to the unit as Planning Officers. They are
1. Engr. Yekini N.A. - Lecturer I Computer Engineering
2. Engr. Obisanya A.A. - Lecturer III Chemical Engineering
3. Mr. Fadiji Ademola - Lecturer III Statistics
Other staff of the Unit are:-
1. Mr. Okoh, Austin A. - Deputy Registrar
2. Mr. Ishola, Sule - Assistant Registrar
3. Mrs. Zosi, Juliana Adaobi - Senior Secretarial Asst. 1
4. Mr. Olumegbon, Akeem - Asst. Chief Clerical Officer
5. Mrs. Johnny, Latifat Ayoyinka - Senior Clerical Officer
6. Mr. Awoponle, Ademola - Senior Driver
In conclusion, the Unit is poised to serve the staff, students and the entire college community with good academic planning and programmes so that Yaba College of Technology would continue to maintain its leadership position among other higher institutions in the Country