WELCOME TO CENTRE FOR APPLIED RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION (ARTI) UNIT.
The Centre for Applied
Research and Technology Innovation was established in 2006, the purpose
is to re-engineer the research culture of academics in the college in
line with the new paradigm shift. The primary responsibility of ARTI is
to promote and facilitate the performance of industry-oriented research
and development activities in the college, orientate staff and students
projects towards Science and Technology (S&T) based goods and
services, establish and promote linkages with private and public
organizations especially Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) for
the exploitation and use of Research and Development (R&D) outputs
and to liaise with relevant stakeholders in the college to develop and
market innovative products and services.
CENTRE FOR APPLIED RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION ORGANOGRAM
ARTI seeks to achieve its mandate by serving the following functions among others:
- Research training and capacity building
- Identification of funding opportunities
- Intellectual Property and Commercialization of research outputs of academics
- Establishing partnerships and linkages with organizations, especially Higher Education Institutions (HEIs)
- Co-ordination of research across schools
- Research quality and outputs management
- Research proposal preparation
- Managing Institutional Research allocation and post awards research
- Ethics oversight
- Research awards and research publicity
of the ARTI is to pursue and facilitate research findings, inventions
and innovations that add value to society by collaborating with
industries especially micro, small and medium enterprises,
educational/research institutions and other relevant stakeholders and in
compliance with intellectual property rights and the vision
is to stimulate and promote research activities in the college such
that research findings, inventions and innovations add value to the
ARTI is a Research
management Office (RMO) of the Yaba College of Technology, the Centre
has a key resource to powering Research & Development in the
College, through the information of researchers on its databases. It
has three(3) departments which are Partnerships/Linkages and
Funding/grants Intellectual Property (IP)/Commercialization and Research
and Development (R&D).
The responsibilities of each of the departments include;
Partnerships and Funding
The Centre determines
organizations (Local and International) with desired potentials and
initiates collaboration. Since inception, the college staff and
students have been benefiting from the numerous partnerships of the
college through ARTI. The centre is also aggressively involved with
sourcing funding opportunities for academics in areas of external
funding for Research proposals, bursaries for international
conference/workshops fellowship studies and scholarships for higher
degrees. The Partnership and funding department seek to achieve its
mandate by serving the following functions.
- Provide information on internal and external sources of funding for researchers
- Assist the college and the staff in sourcing fund for Research and Development and Innovative activities
- Organize training workshop on Industry and Academic Linkage and Research Fund Management
- Monitor fund allocated to researchers, give guideline for preparing spending profiles for sponsored research.
- Establish and manage linkages with industries and institutions within and outside the country
- Encourage networking among other institutions and industries.
Research & Development
At the Yaba College of
Technology, the strategic planning of research and its management is one
of the responsibilities of ARTI. The R & D department sets out
the key performance indicators for research and highlights the
structures and resources that are required to be put in place by the
College in order for it to achieve its objectives.
The department of
Research and Development, which has the mandate for co-ordinating
research across schools and facilitating the implementation of the
college research agenda and policy, serves as the college link to the
external world in terms of research and innovation. The department
seeks to achieve its mandate by serving the following functions;
training workshops/exhibitions for researchers and students in the
areas of Research and Development (R&D) and Innovation Management
proposal writing and conducting research
- Promotes and manages research and innovation activities in the college within ARTI priority areas.
- Conducts research in the area of Science, Technology and Innovation Management, Science and Technology Policy Studies.
Intellectual Property (IP) / Commercialization
Intellectual Property (IP)/Commercialization department of ARTI assist
academic staff and students in translating their innovative research
outputs into products, processes and services for public use. This is
achieved by licensing such innovative research outcomes to outside
organizations to further develop and market the products and services.
The IP/Commercialization department further aims to be the first point
of contact for outside organizations and individuals seeking skills,
inventions, creative works and other resources of the Yaba College of
Technology research community for commercial and other public purpose.
When a college researcher discloses an invention, the department seeks
intellectual property protection (copyrights and patents etc) for the
research and/or creative work and then endeavours to identify commercial
partners to negotiate a license and option agreements for continued
development. On achieving successful commercialization, the net profits
are shared as stipulated in the IP policy. The Intellectual Property
and Technology Transfer Office (IPTTO) was established and commissioned
in 2009 by National office for Technology Acquisition and Promotion
(NOTAP) which functions under IP/Commercialization department. Other
functions of the department include:
research results in the college with a view to identifying patentable
and commercilizable ones and processing research results for patenting
and determining strategies for translating research results and
technologies to the industries.
- Managing Research and Development (R&D) transfer actitivies on behalf of the college.
awareness among staff/students for patenting Research and Development
results and inventions, and enlightening students and staff in
conducting industrial research that can be easily translated into