Department of Printing Technology is the pioneer of printing education
is Nigeria, and has contributed immensely to the technical manpower for
the need of the printing industry in the country. The Department was
first established in 1952 but merged with the Department of Art in 1964.
With the introduction of the school system, the Printing Technology
Department was reestablished under School of Art, Design and Printing
the early years of the Department, it offered day-release courses in
the various areas on printing technology for the benefits of people
involved in printing industries, publishing industries and other
industries. The examinations were conducted on those courses that led to
the award of City and Guides Certificate from London. From 1953 to the
sixties, the Department admitted and trained students for junior diploma
and the certificate programmes.
Certificate courses were terminated and replaced by two-year National
Diploma Certificate in 1977. Sequence to this was the approval of Higher
National Diploma Programme in 1978. The first set of diplomats who had
successfully completed the National Diploma courses pioneered the first
set of students what were made to continue Higher National Diploma
programme in 1979. In 1981, the first set of Higher National Diploma
College of Technology, the premier institution of higher learning in
Nigeria, and the cradle of printing education has produced pillars in
the printing industry and most of them occupied some top prominent
positions in printing and publishing industries.